IT & Internet
Software Engineer - Reading
Salary: Very Competitive
My client is a leading supplier of high quality test instruments for the geotechnical testing industry. They design and manufacture fully automated systems for triaxial, Shear and consolidation tests. Their advanced systems are used by many universities around the world. In addition to their standard test system, they also provide Unsaturated Triaxial and Shear system and dynamic test systems for triaxial and simple shear.
My client is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join their team. The role is broad and varied, with primary focus on development and maintenance of their application suite. Successful candidates will be one of several engineers working on both new and existing applications on a variety of platforms.
Main Duties are, but are not limited to:
- Develop & Maintain :
- Primary software suite (WinForms + SQL)
- Website/Services (eventually administration of)
- New products and functionality
- Provide technical knowledge/assistance :
- To sales team to help them communicate with customers and to identify/clarify their technical requirements
- To service team for problem solving, queries and general technical help
- Provide development feedback to mechanical and electrical designer
Essential Skills & Requirements:
- Software Engineering Degree (2.1 or better)
- 5 years in-role experience minimum, preferably in a scientific or engineering background
- Multi-Lingual WinForms Development in VB.NET (primary), with C# secondary, MS TSQL, VS2010 moving to VS2017+
- Refactoring, developing and extending legacy and new code base.
- Bug Fixing: Using debugging, diagnostic and profiling tools to help us build efficient software that works.
- Technical advice to service, documentation and sales team on performance, operation, usage and diagnostics of our software suite
- Working within Distributed Source Control (Mercurial/Kiln Preferred)
- Working to Bug Trackers (Fogbugz for instance)
- Excellent knowledge of Windows Operating Systems (Win7+)
- Coding Technologies: WinForms, WPF, C#, VB.Net, EF
- Coding Techniques: TDD, MVVM, MCV, Async & Threading
- Database Technologies: MS SQL moving to a NoSQL type (tbd)
- Unit Testing: MS Test (or other) to ensure the code you've written functions as designed by creating automated unit and integration tests
- Administration of Continuous Integration systems and related technologies such as TeamCity, MS Build Scripts and MSI Installers
- WiX toolsets will be in use in the near future so any experience of these toolsets will be of interest.
- Arm Based Development
- Android App Development
- Any Geotechnical Engineering knowledge will be of notable benefit.
- Some basic electrical and mechanical understanding will assist in using the machinery the software operates.
- DotNetNuke site creation, administration and modification (Module Creation a Bonus)
- Windows WebServer 2008, IIS, MailEnable administration
Additional Resources are an Employment Business and an Employment Agency as defined within The Conduct of Employment Agencies & Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.