Principal engineer (Timber) – Derby
Our Client is a domestically renowned multi trade engineering company is looking for a Principal timber and steel engineer to join their current expanding team.
They have been in the industry for over 45 years, working with a range of branded commercial companies.
Due to the company growth they are now looking for a Principal timber and steel engineer, to head up and lead teams across the business. Our client is also looking for someone who is comfortable communicating across businesses and with a profound knowledge of timber and steel design at both scheme and detail stages.
During this role you will be boarding your knowledge cross the timber and steel industry. You would be required to do the following.
• The chosen applicant will report directly to the Technical Manager and will be required to provide technical leadership to teams of in-house and external engineers.
• Working within the Technical Manager's research plan, strive toward accomplishing R&D objectives that affect the entire firm.
• Always be on the lookout for new and better methods to do things, both technically and practically, and learn from others' experiences.
• Provide technical assistance to external project teams on how to best use engineered wood, taking into account factors other than structural engineering.
• Create structural designs that include size for members and panels, as well as connecting plans.
• Advise on the structural integrity of structures in both temporary and permanent situations.
• Participate in pre-contract or post-contract design meetings, either alone or as part of a team.
Assist in the development of robust designs by leading in-house teams, communicating with external engineering resources, and interacting with project teams.
During both the tender and contract phases, confidently and professionally represent the company at meetings. Meetings with Main Contractors, Architects, Consulting Engineers, or Clients directly may be part of this.
Establish study areas; collaborate with other departments and outside experts to convert ideas into reality that improve construction procedures.
Create structural designs for tender and live contacts, including primary and secondary member designs, connection specifications, and temporary works needs for the structure's safe erection.
Create sketches and marked-up drawings to explain design intent, as well as comprehensive calculations to support design recommendations, all of which should be presented in a clear and legible manner.
Assist with the creation of design methods and design spreadsheets (and/or other tools) for use by the in-house design department.
• The applicant must have a solid engineering academic record at the MEng, MSc, or PhD level. The applicant should be Chartered with the IStructE or ICE, or be on the verge of becoming Chartered.
• In presentations and meetings, candidates must be able to communicate technical knowledge concisely and confidently.
• Candidates should be able to lead teams of engineers both within the UK and internationally.
• Candidates must be able to show that they can interpret engineering drawings and specifications in order to create a coordinated design.
• Have a strong understanding of key design codes (both British Standards and Eurocodes).
• Good IT skills, naturally capable of using Excel, Word and Outlook, as well as previous experience of using structural design software. BKS currently operate MasterSeries, Dlubal RFEM and IdeaStatica software – experience in using these packages would be preferable.
• Know how design solutions affect other trades and functions and how to appreciate and comprehend them.
• Have a thorough understanding of how design and related details affect business (for example machining, fabrication and erection).
• Have a good understanding of the site's conditions, working methods, and capabilities.
Additional Resources are an Employment Business and an Employment Agency as defined within The Conduct of Employment Agencies & Employment Businesses Regulations 2003