LAWYER - PRIVATE CLIENT SOLICITOR
Full Time / Permanent
Our client is offering an opportunity for a Solicitor to join the busy and growing Private Client department in their Edinburgh office. The role will provide Executory Services to clients, Estate Planning Advice (covering Wills, Powers of Attorney, Trusts, Asset Protection & Tax Mitigation) and support to their branch network in Private Client matters.
· To manage a varied personal caseload of Private Client work.
· To support qualified solicitors and other fee-earners within the department.
· To carry out administrative functions within the department.
· To attend to all day-to-day aspects of the administration of estates:-
o Meeting clients to take instructions and being proficient (Including video conferencing)
o Communicating with other professionals, financial institutions, and service providers.
o Investigating assets in executory estates.
o Framing estate Inventory and Inheritance Tax forms
o Realisation of estate assets, including obtaining payment of cash balances and transfer of assets to beneficiaries.
o Accounting to executors and beneficiaries.
o Distribution of estates to beneficiaries.
· Preparing Wills and Powers of Attorney:-
o Meeting clients to take initial instructions on Wills and Powers of Attorney.
o Being proficient at setting up and conducting meetings by video conference.
o Drafting Wills and Powers of Attorney in line with instructions.
o Meeting clients to review and execute documents.
o Identifying potential complexities and obtaining guidance from more experienced or senior colleagues as appropriate.
· Undertaking legal research and reporting / presenting findings to partners and fee-earners.
· Pro-active management of individual caseload.
· Cross-selling of legal, property and financial services.
· Working with partners and fee-earners to review existing policies, practices and precedents.
· LLB degree in Scots Law
· Diploma in Professional Legal Practice
· Upper second class or higher LLB (Hons) degree
· STEP Diploma in Trusts and Estates
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· NQ to 5 years PQE in Private Client work.
· Competent IT skills
· Experience of using case management software (Desirable, not essential).
· Strong understanding of Will drafting, succession law and executry administration.
Desirable (Not essential)
· Understanding of different types of financial products.
· Succession Law having been studied at Honours level.
· General legal knowledge spanning other practice areas.
· A professional and sympathetic approach to dealing with clients during sensitive periods.
· Communicating legal issues to clients in plain English.
· Ability to work to strict timescales and deadlines.
· Excellent attention to detail.
Additional Resources are an Employment Business and an Employment Agency as defined within The Conduct of Employment Agencies & Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.