Media & New Media
£18,000 to £30,000 Per Annum
Journalist / Writer - Brighton, Full time, Permanent
Salary: £18k - £30k, more possible for an ideal candidate
Our client operates two online business-to-business publications focused on the global reinsurance industry. They strive to provide relevant and thoughtful information, news, and analysis, as well as data services and conferences, to industry participants. Their News publication is a growing publication focused on the traditional reinsurance marketplace and specialty insurance businesses. With a readership that is growing quickly online roughly 150k per month.
They also publish market reports and analysis, typically backed by sponsorship and advertising, as well as facilitating, hosting, and publishing executive roundtables, dinners, briefings, webinars, and international conferences when possible. Their publications are funded by advertising, sponsorships, and partnerships, as well as through commercial events and conference portfolio (currently Singapore and New York)
- As the business grows, they are looking for junior to mid-level writers or journalists to come onboard, learn about the industry and help them to expand. The role will be largely focused on writing news content for News at first.
- Experience in writing, publishing, and web content is important, while an interest or understanding of insurance and reinsurance would be useful but not essential. A journalism qualification is also useful, but not essential if you have the right experience to bring to their team.
- Applicants with wider finance, re/insurance and broader capital market journalism, editorial and analysis experience or interest would be looked on very favourably.
- Candidates should be ambitious, be looking to create a career for themselves, be ready to learn and eager to help build a world-leading publishing and events business.
- Applicants will be expected to write articles from press releases, as well as some feature content and interviews. Applicants will need to be able to find their own sources and monitor news flow from the wires for relevant articles their readers will be interested in. Other content related tasks will also be required, including website updates etc.
- They are looking for either junior or mid-level applicants specifically, but They are also open to applicants with more specific or extensive journalism experience, and to those without, but who have additional experience in content, online businesses, or data analysis.
- They work remotely but the team is largely based in Brighton & Hove. When possible, there is a chance for international travel for all employees.
- The successful candidate will be producing stories for the website, as well as contributing to market reports and analysis, including some data work. Strong emphasis will be placed on consistently producing high-quality content, analytical, trend- or data-driven articles. As well as accuracy.
- Applicants should be extremely literate and numerate. Learning will be required, to get up to speed in reinsurance, risk transfer and related concepts as quickly as possible. They will expect you to be able to learn fast and get writing content and contributing to the business as quickly as possible.
- Topics to be covered range from press releases, industry trends, losses, market analysis, product launches, interviews, people moves and strategies. The successful candidate will be expected not just to report on these matters, but to also dig deeper into what is driving them and what is likely to drive them in the future.
- Their publications are online businesses and so some demonstrable understanding of writing for the web, SEO, online best practice, social media, and digital journalism would be useful, but not essential, other task includes
- Sourcing content for articles.
- Researching industry trends.
- Writing content for the website.
- Updating various sections of the website.
- Assisting with new website product development.
Essential Skills & Requirements:
- Minimum A-Levels. Degree level qualification preferred. Experience in a content, writing or journalism related role.
- Have an excellent standard of writing.
- Have a good standard of numeracy.
- Have some writing experience.
- Be inquisitive and want to learn.
- Journalistic or writing experience in a workplace.
- Appreciate and understand complex financial market concepts or be willing and able to learn.
- Be digitally native and understand online publishing and writing for the web.
- Social media savvy.
- SEO aware.
Additional Resources are an Employment Business and an Employment Agency as defined within The Conduct of Employment Agencies & Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.