Catering & Hospitality
£28,500 to £29,000 Per Annum
Chef - Dunoon, Scotland
Salary: £28,500-£29,000 pa depending on experience.
Our established client who is a small hotel with a bar and restaurant. It comprises an indoor dining area with a seating capacity of 70 and an outdoor beer garden with a seating capacity of 120 diners are looking for an experienced full-time Chef to work a shift pattern.
To oversee the restaurant's kitchen by managing other members of the food preparation and cooking team, coordinating with waiters, floor manager and kitchen staff to ensure a smooth delivery of service, deciding what dishes to serve, and adjusting orders to meet guests' requests. May assist in prep work, such as chopping vegetables, but more often will be involved in cooking specialty menu dishes.
Comes with Live in accommodation, holiday pay, annual bonus (subject to profitability of the business), flexible working hours, shared tips
- Ensuring compliance with policies on goods received, so that deliveries of produce to the department are properly checked and recorded and meet appropriate quality and packaging standards.
- Ensuring compliance with food preparation and cooking procedures
- Taking responsibility where appropriate for monitoring stock rotation and use-by dates, informing the senior chefs of any failure so that appropriate action is taken.
- Ensuring the facility is left, at the end of each shift, in a clean and secure condition, all food stuffs are appropriately stored away and labelled, and all actions detailed on the ‘End of Day Check List’, are properly completed.
- Ensuring that management is aware of any staff issues which you consider need attention or addressing
- Ensuring that all appropriate procedures are properly completed, and appropriate kitchen records are maintained, in keeping with statutory requirements and School policies and procedures.
- Taking responsibility for your actions and your part in maintaining a safe working environment in all catering areas.
- Proactively identifying risks and eliminating accidents from the workplace by promoting an excellent Health & Safety culture and practices among staff.
- Reporting all complaints and incidents affecting health or hygiene to the other chefs.
- Setting up the kitchen with cooking utensils and equipment, like knives, pans, and food scales
- Studying each recipe and gathering all necessary ingredients
- Cooking food in a timely manner
- Delegating tasks to kitchen staff to ensure meals are prepared in a timely manner
- Inform wait staff about daily special
- Ensure appealing plate presentation
- Supervise Cooks and assist as needed
- Modify recipes to meet customers’ needs and requests (e.g. reduce salt, remove dairy)
- Monitor and manage food stock and place orders in a timely manner
- Check freshness of food and discard out-of-date items
- Experiment with recipes and suggest new ingredients
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations within the kitchen area
Skills & Requirements
- Proven work experience as a Chef or Cook
- Hands-on experience with various kitchen equipment (e.g. grillers and pasta makers)
- Good knowledge of culinary, baking and pastry techniques
- Leadership skills
- Ability to work under pressure, multitask and remain calm
- Excellent time management abilities
- Up-to-date knowledge of cooking techniques and recipes
- Familiarity with sanitation regulations
- Demonstrate a knowledge of Covid-19 safe practices in the kitchen
- An understanding of health and safety regulations and public safety and security
- A good knowledge of the CookSafe “Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point” Risk Assessment
- An understanding of Equality Diversity in the workplace
- An understanding of COSSH requirements
- An awareness of your responsibilities in reporting to management any hazardous situation or accident
- Degree or NVQ Level 2 Catering (or equivalent) diploma
- GSCES including maths
- Certificate in food hygiene
- Health and safety training
- Knowledge of other areas of the business
- Driving licence
Additional Resources are an Employment Business and an Employment Agency as defined within The Conduct of Employment Agencies & Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.