Business Development Consultant – Cambridge
Salary: £Competitive + Bonus & Benefits
Our client is a successful technology consultancy with a heritage as an electronics systems specialist, designing and implementing novel technical solutions. They specialise in bespoke communications systems, electronic warfare and survivability, low-SWaP sensor systems and resilient positioning, navigation and timing.
The delivery of novel technical solutions is critical to future defence, and we are well placed to exploit this opportunity. As their defence business continues to expand, this role will be critical to the success of their aggressive development plans. To assist in this growth, they are looking for a Business Development Consultant to join their team.
Business Development Consultant is about selling engineering expertise and technical solutions, rather than an existing product portfolio, so identifying possible opportunities demands a solid understanding of the engineering issues involved in a potential application. To identify opportunities that fit the company's skill set, and to hold your own in discussions with technical specialists, you will need a degree in a relevant technical subject and some direct experience of product or system development.
As a Business Development Consultant, in this role you can expect to:
- Seek out and qualify new business leads through networking at industry events and tradeshows, working your existing contacts and cold calling
- Follow up opportunities by developing proposals and closing sales
- Support client management during project delivery
- Interact effectively with other internal departments, especially the technical teams, when engaging with clients and when handing over projects for execution
- Keep abreast of issues affecting the defence market
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the DTS sales and marketing strategy
- Identify potential business partners for collaboration on large bids.
Essential Skills & Requirements:
- Ideally you will have previous experience of business development for R&D, design services or bespoke systems in a defence systems environment.
- You are an engineer or technologist with a defence systems background and would like to make a move into business development.
- You have relevant business development experience in a non-defence domain, we would also like to hear from you.
- You will need to be a motivated self-starter who can develop business relationships at operational and management levels.
- You will have an inventive mind so that you can match customers expressed (and unexpressed) requirements to our capabilities.
- You will also need plenty of drive and energy, have excellent customer management skills and a flexible approach to work
Additional Resources are an Employment Business and an Employment Agency as defined within The Conduct of Employment Agencies & Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.