Birmingham or Bristol
Bids and Business Development Manager – Birmingham / Bristol (flexible)
Salary: excellent package commensurate with experience + benefits
Our client is a leading international legal business. They have offices in the UK as well as others around the world. They represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies and act for all of the UK’s top-ten insurers, they are market leaders in the provision of strategic, commercial and regulatory advice to providers and commissioners in the health sector, and in real estate advise all of the UK’s top-12 housebuilders.
They are now on the lookout for a suitability qualified and Bids and Business Development Manager –working flexibly but ideal from the Birmingham or Bristol areas
The Bids and Business Development (BD) Manager is responsible for managing bids and BD activity for the business. They play a key role in helping to achieve our clients growth plans by, managing the bids pipeline, providing guidance on win strategy, producing bids documents, coaching presentation teams and supporting on wider BD activities. They also play a key role in the continuous improvement of the bids and BD processes and in the development of people in the Bids Team. This role would be suitable for someone who is looking for an opportunity to develop their career.
Location is flexible but Birmingham or Bristol is preferred.
Manage bids process across the business by:
- Probing and challenging the tender invitation, working with the Executive Board and partners to assess and anticipate client needs, providing practical guidance on how the bids will be scored and what further information we need to discover.
- Using project management techniques to ensure a well-planned, organised and controlled process, driving the bids forward making things happen through personal commitment.
- Helping formulate the best win strategy for each bid, including consideration of optimum commercial strategies. Clearly articulating the reasons for adopting the proposed strategies.
- Managing bids strategy meetings confidently, inspiring enthusiasm and support for the bids.
- Working with lawyers, finance and any other experts (in person and virtually) to formulate models for an attractive and profitable offer that meets the prospect's needs and supports agreed strategy for the bids.
- Creating a comprehensive first draft document that sets out the agreed strategy and offer clearly articulated responses aligned to the tender scoring criteria.
- Ensuring the bid document is compelling, well-written, attractive and accurate.
- Coaching and guiding lawyers (in person and virtually) on effective presentation techniques, both through ad hoc workshops and specific pitch rehearsals as part of the bids process, delivering feedback on performance.
- Ensuring client debriefs are undertaken on all bids, either personally or through our Client Listening Team, and that all messages are fed back to relevant parties.
- Working with the wider marketing team to ensure that all sector material is effective and up to date.
- Demonstrating effective compliance with the firm's bids process.
- Working with the wider business, including Client Relationship Partners, to proactively manage the bids pipeline and run bid workshops to maximise the chances of success when the bids invitation arrives.
- Working with PG&R to identify possible risks to the business/comply with internal risk management and conflict checking procedures.
- Supporting the Senior Bids and BD Manager in the business.
- Understanding and investigating external models for bids best practice, putting forward proposals to better our internal processes and managing projects to deliver improvements.
Support on wider BD activities across the business by:
- Running client workshops to review the status of key client accounts, identifying opportunities for growth, supporting with relationship mapping and developing action plans.
- Working with the Marketing Operations Team, the Head of Business Development and lawyers to identify and log all opportunities on our client relationship management system.
- Creating proactive BD documents for clients outlining our services and expertise, which are tailored to the client’s unique requirements.
- Maintain a high level understanding of key developments across the business.
- Handle confidential information in line with the firms data security protocols.
The Ideal Candidate
- Have experience of managing bids and supporting on BD activity, ideally within a professional services environment.
- Show strong strategic and commercial awareness, coupled with industry and competitor knowledge, enabling them to develop winning strategies, viable/profitable offers and creative pricing ideas.
- Understand sales theory and best practice, and have experience of applying that to successfully defend/win clients.
- Understand project management techniques and be able to create and manage complex project plans, with the determination and pace to make things happen.
- Have strong writing, proofreading and editing skills and the ability to adapt style to different audiences and channels.
- Have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of pitch presentation skills and best practice and experience of successfully coaching and guiding others.
- Possess high levels of credibility with the ability to influence, challenge and coach senior stakeholders.
- Have high levels of numeracy and analysis (also able to manipulate spreadsheets).
- Have a thirst for technical knowledge and application of knowledge to generate ideas.
- Have experience of coaching and/or managing others.
- excellent packagecommensurate with experience + benefits
- a generous range of benefits,
- The opportunity to further your career within a growing business
- Flexible working
Additional Resources are an Employment Business and an Employment Agency as defined within The Conduct of Employment Agencies & Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.